Ahead of Assam Assembly Polls 2021, Jagdish Mukhi, Governor of Assam declared the entire state as a “Disturbed Area” for up to six months with effect from February 27, unless withdrawn earlier.
“As per powers conferred under Section 3 of the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act, 1958, the Governor of Assam has declared the entire State of Assam as ‘Disturbed Area’ up to 6 (six) months beyond 27/02/2021, unless withdrawn earlier”.
This fresh order is an extension of a similar move in August 2020, where the government of Assam had extended the ‘Disturbed Area’ status for six months from 28 of the same month. Back then, the state government had reasoned that Assam was declared a ‘Disturbed Area’ because of insurgent attacks on the security forces in Northeast India and also due to the recovery of large amounts of arms and ammunition from various parts of Assam.
- Kurseong to be hub of Nepali radio broadcasting in India from Apr 1
- Par panel recommends new law to define power, functions of CBI
- Sikkim: Grandson kills 80-year-old grandfather
- Mizoram: Polling for 99 village councils in MADC on April 18
- Naga issue, oppn-less govt, illegal immigrants at centre of Assembly session
- Assam: Students sensitised on importance of biodiversity