Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) chief Mohan Bhagwat arrived in Guwahati on Tuesday for a five-day visit.
Though the purpose of Bhagwat’s visit has not been made official, sources said he is in the city to oversee the organisation’s work in the region. His visit to Assam assumes significance as the BJP-ruled state is set to go for election in April 2021.
According to sources, Bhagawat will meet Assam chief minister Sarbananda Sonowal to “discuss important political issues” during his visit.
The RSS chief is expected to visit Nagaland and Arunachal Pradesh between December 5-12.
While Bhagwat is not likely to make any public appearance in Guwahati, sources said he is scheduled to have a series of closed-door meetings with senior leaders of the organisation and other political leaders.
- Guwahati pedals for change with Mountain Bike race
- Bharat bandh fails to evoke much response in Tripura
- Meghalaya entrepreneur receives special gift from CM Sangma
- Nagaland reports 17 new COVID cases, 1 more fatality
- NSCN(IM) invited to Delhi to continue talks: Nagaland CM
- Naga leader murder: JAC calls for 48-hr strike, Manipur govt seeks more time to meet demands