Guwahati: Elections for the Tiwa Autonomous Council will be held on December 17, the State Election Commission (SEC) has informed.
Polling will take place across the Council’s 36 constituencies spread over Kamrup Metropolitan districts, Hojai, Morigaon, and Nagaon between 7.30 am and 4.30 pm, following all COVID-19 protocols.
SEC announced that votes will be counted two days later on December 19.
State Election Commissioner Alok Kumar said the last date of filing of nomination papers is November 25 and scrutiny of documents will be done on November 26. The list of validly-nominated candidates will be declared on November 26.
Withdrawal of candidature will be allowed till November 28.
The counting of votes will be done on December 19 starting from 8 am till the completion of the counting process.
If necessary, a re-poll will be held on December 18.
Also, elections for Bodoland Territorial Council (BTC) will be held on December 7 in the first phase and on December 10 in the second phase. The count will be held on December 12.
The term of BTC in Assam had expired in April and elections were postponed due to the outbreak of COVID-19. Meanwhile, the administrative power of the council was handed over to the governor to manage administration.
- Gauhati HC judge to head tribunal probing extremist groups in Manipur
- Ceasefire far from lasting peace, says national security expert on Israel-Hamas deal
- Assam Pavilion bags silver medal at IITF Delhi
- What’s needed to educate boys about gender violence
- 13 new hydel projects to boost Arunachal energy sector: Power minister
- Meghalaya: ‘Cake Mixing Ceremony’ ushers in festive mood