Guwahati: In a major breakthrough, the police arrested a dreaded poacher involved in rhino killings at Kaziranga National Park from a guest house in Birubari area of Assam’s Guwahati on Sunday.
As per reports, a joint team of security forces from Biswanath Wildlife Division along with a police team of Birubari outpost, based on specific inputs, conducted a search operation and successfully arrested the wanted poacher from a guest house at Birubari.
The arrested person has been identified as Partha Pratim Das alias Sunti Das, hailing from Telengonia village of Behali in Assam’s Biswanath district.
Police sources further revealed that Das was involved in several rhino poaching incidents at Kaziranga National Park and also acted as a mastermind in many of the organised crimes.
Speaking to media persons, investigating officer of Biswanath Forest Division, Santosh Shah, informed that Das hired a sharpshooter from Dimapur and attempted rhino poaching at Kaziranga National Park thrice in 2019, but all his attempts were foiled by security agencies.
In addition to it, Shah also revealed that after receiving a tip-off from specific sources, a forest department team from Behali and Biswanath division arrested the sharpshooter and seized arms and ammunition from him.
Meanwhile, the Biswanath Wildlife Division has so far nabbed nine accused in connection to rhino poaching cases, including Das.
- Sikkim logs 40 new COVID-19 cases, 1 fresh fatality
- Fixed-wing flight services to remote towns of Arunachal Pradesh
- PM urges people to ensure no one is left out of vaccination’s ‘circle of safety’
- Sikkim districts to undergo nomenclature change: CM Golay
- How this social entrepreneur is championing love for voiceless animals
- Assam: 5 of 6 accused deny charges of instigating Gorukhuti violence