EastMojo
www.eastmojo.com
Charred bodies of Ishan Goswami (8) (left) and Iban Goswami (5) were recovered from the spot. Iban was celebrating his fifth birthday on Thursday
Charred bodies of Ishan Goswami (8) (left) and Iban Goswami (5) were recovered from the spot. Iban was celebrating his fifth birthday on Thursday|EastMojo image
ASSAM

Assam: On his birthday, kid charred to death along with brother

Massive fire -- caused by short circuit leading to a cylinder blast -- engulfs building in Guwahati’s Beltola area; charred bodies of Ishan Goswami (8) & Iban Goswami (5) recovered from spot

Sandeep Borah

Sandeep Borah

Guwahati: In a gruesome incident, two children, one of whom was celebrating his birthday, were charred to death at Basisthapur area of Guwahati after a massive fire -- caused by a suspected short circuit leading to a cylinder blast -- engulfed their residence around 1.15 pm on Thursday.

According to the police, the brothers -- Ishan Goswami (8) and Iban Goswami (5), who were students of Srimanta Shankardev Academy in Guwahati -- died on the spot apparently due to suffocation following the fire. It has also been reported that it was Ishan’s fourth birthday on Thursday.

Even though the investigating officers have maintained silence over the whole issue, police sources informed EastMojo that the charred bodies of both the brothers were recovered from a bed inside the residence.

Meanwhile, Assam chief minister Sarbananda Sonowal has condoled the death of the two kids in the incident. Expressing serious concern over the issue, the chief minister has asked Kamrup (M) deputy commissioner to investigate into the matter.

The two kids along with their parents in happier times
The two kids along with their parents in happier times
File image
A cylinder recovered from the accident site 
A cylinder recovered from the accident site 
EastMojo image
The accident site
The accident site
EastMojo image
Firemen busy dousing the fire
Firemen busy dousing the fire
EastMojo image
Wall destroyed in fire
Wall destroyed in fire
EastMojo Image
The house was completely burnt during the incident
The house was completely burnt during the incident
EastMojo Image
Another room of the house 
Another room of the house 
EastMojo image 

It has been suspected that both of them were either playing or sleeping inside the house on the first floor of the building, which was probably locked from outside. The grandmother and the mother of the two were on the ground floor.

As the fire engulfed the building, some of the locals reported hearing some noise as both the children shouted for help.

The accident site
The accident site
EastMojo image
The ground floor of the house
The ground floor of the house
EastMojo Image

Locals in the area also alleged that the fire tenders reached the spot late and which fueled the intensity of the damage caused. However, fire officials have refused the allegations informing that five fire tenders were used to control the situation.

The kids’ father, Tushar Goswami, is a businessman and currently out of Guwahati. Their mother, Shilpi Goswami, was reportedly with her mother-in-law during the time of the accident.

However, the exact cause and other statements relating to the accident are yet to be ascertained.

For more such stories, follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Activate Website Notifications to stay updated.