Guwahati: In a shocking development, the convoy of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)’s Assam state president Ranjit Kumar Das was attacked by a mob protesting against the contentious Citizenship (Amendment) Bill (CAB) in Guwahati on Tuesday afternoon.
As per some reports, Assam ministers Naba Kumar Doley and Siddhartha Bhattacharya were also travelling in the convoy.
The incident happened near the Six Mile flyover on GS Road in Guwahati around 2 pm on Tuesday when the senior leader was on his way to the Dispur in Guwahati. Just as the convoy — coming from Khanapara side — got on to the flyover, a mob of about 100 protesters stopped the vehicles and started pelting stones and hitting them with sticks.
The vehicles were forced to turn back amid slogans raised by the protesters.
Minutes later, on the same flyover, the convoy of Morigaon MLA Ramakanta Dewri was attacked by the same mob, forcing the leader and his aides to turn back and move out of the area.
According to some reports, Guwahati police commissioner Mukesh Agarwal’s convoy also came under attack of angry protesters in Guwahati on Tuesday.
- PM Modi turns 71: Here’s how Nagaland celebrated
- Leaders of Lanka, Nepal wish PM Modi on his 71st birthday
- Daily COVID-19 vaccination crosses 1-crore mark for the fourth time
- India’s 61st Software Technology park centre opened in Nagaland
- How 35 people in Assam’s Udalguri came together to create a man-made forest
- Mizoram extends COVID-19 restrictions amid grim situation