Dibrugarh businessman accuses state coordinator of ‘excluding’ names of 4 of his family members including himself from final National Register of Citizens
Tinsukia: A case has been filed against the National Registrar of Citizen (NRC) state coordinator Prateek Hajela by a businessman of Assam's Dibrugarh town alleging "exclusion" of names of four of his family members, including himself, from the final list.
Nearly two million people have been left out of the final list of NRC which was published on August 31, as part of an exercise to check illegal immigration.
Talking to EastMojo, the complainant, Chandan Mazumder, who is also a member of BS Development Council of Assam government, said, "I fear that our names has been excluded on the basis of a criminal conspiracy by the state coordinator of NRC and the NSK team, though my mother, Gita -- head of the family -- and younger brother, Piku, made it to the list."
"Six of us had applied for NRC vide ARN number 401831002064069100986 with legacy data of 1951 and other relevant documents to prove linkage," Mazumder said, adding: "My name and those of my wife Soma, son Ritesh and my younger brother Chanchal have been excluded from the final list."
"Hence, I have filed a police complaint against Hajela and NSK team member," he added.
"My grandfather was a railway employee in Dibrugarh even before India got its Independence. We have legacy data of 1951," he added.
"When in the second draft list, only my mother's name appeared, my mother wrote a letter to NRC state coordinator informing about the 'discrepancy' in the list. She informed him that despite submitting legacy data of 1951, affidavit of her deceased husband mentioning about the refugee certificate number 164 dated 23.12.1950, which was neither verified from your records nor accepted, though it was granted by the President of Indian Union, land documents of 1964 from West Bengal belonging to my daughter-in-law, their names have been excluded putting me under duress and hardship," Mazumder said, adding, "The letter was sent by speed post but we never received any reply."
Mazumder said they had to go through the verificiation process four times before the second draft list was out, underlining the kind of stress and trauma their entire family had been to over one year. "In July this year, we were called for hearing at Chabua in Dibrugarh district. We once again submitted all the documents, after which the officials present there asked us not to worry as we are bona fide Indian citizens and our names will he there in the list," he added.
Talking to EastMojo, officer-in-charge of Dibrugarh police station PK Bora said, "We have registered a case (number 1469/2019)
against Hajela and other officials under section 120(B)/166/167 of Indian Penal Code. The case in under investigation."
According to sources, another case has been filed by an indigenous Muslim students' organisation — All Assam Goriya-Moriya Yuva Chatra Parishad (AAGMYCP) — against Hajela and registered under Sections 167, 506 and 34 of the IPC in Guwahati.