Guwahati: Polling for bye-elections to five Assam Assembly constituencies began at 7 am on Saturday amid heightened security and strict implementation of COVID-19 protocols.
Some 7.96 lakh voters will decide the electoral fate of 31 contestants, the state election office said.
Voting started in 1,176 polling stations, including 285 in Gossaigaon, 213 in Bhabanipur, 322 in Tamulpur, 183 in Mariani and 173 in Thowra constituencies.
Polling will continue till 5 pm in the poll-bound constituencies.
The prominent contestants include Rupjyoti Kurmi, Sushanta Borgohain, Phanidhar Talukdar (all BJP); Luhit Konwar, Jowel Tudu, Sailendra Nath Das, Bhaskar Dahal, Monuranjan Konwar (all INC); Krishna Gogoi (CPI); Jiron Basumatary, Jolen Daimary (both UPPL); Dhruba Kumar Brahma Narzary (BPF); Jubbar Ali and Khairul Anam Khandakar (both AIUDF).
Bye-election in Gossaigaon and Tamulpur were necessitated due to death of the sitting MLAs, while the incumbents of Bhabanipur, Mariani and Thowra resigned from their seats to join the ruling BJP.
Also Read | Forest Rights Act: Dispur to review implementation status in Assam
- Assam Guv confers state civilian awards on 21 personalities
- India to help Cambodia’s tiger reintroduction programme
- 50pc of respiratory infection cases in hospitals are of H3N2: Govt
- Here’s how ‘revenge spenders’ may be fuelling inflation
- Air pollution can increase the risk of COVID infection and severe disease
- For rescued rhino calves in Nepal, return to the wild is a fraught option