Guwahati: An estimated 69.60 per cent of 7.96 lakh voters exercised their franchise in bypolls to five assembly constituencies in Assam till 5 pm on Saturday when polling ended, an official said.
Voting has been peaceful in the five seats – Gossaigaon, Bhabanipur, Tamulpur, Mariani and Thowra.
Polling was conducted with strict adherence to COVID-19 protocols.
The highest voter turnout of 76.71 per cent was recorded in Gossaigaon, followed by Thowra (75.07 per cent), Bhabanipur (74 per cent), Tamulpur (62 per cent) and Mariani (61.62 per cent), the official of the state Chief Electoral Officer’s office said.
No untoward incident has been reported so far from the five constituencies, the official said, adding that Central Armed Police Force (CAPF) personnel have been deployed in 1,176 polling stations.
- Sri Lanka to liberalise fuel import and marketing: Energy Minister
- Psychology behind online casinos
- Journalists should not be jailed for ‘what they write’: UN on Zubair’s arrest
- Arunachal cancels out-of-turn appointments in all govt departments
- India slams UN Human Rights for comments on action against Setalvad
- Bharatiya Gorkha Prajatantrik Morcha wins Gorkhaland Territorial elections