Guwahati: An estimated 69.60 per cent of 7.96 lakh voters exercised their franchise in bypolls to five assembly constituencies in Assam till 5 pm on Saturday when polling ended, an official said.
Voting has been peaceful in the five seats – Gossaigaon, Bhabanipur, Tamulpur, Mariani and Thowra.
Polling was conducted with strict adherence to COVID-19 protocols.
The highest voter turnout of 76.71 per cent was recorded in Gossaigaon, followed by Thowra (75.07 per cent), Bhabanipur (74 per cent), Tamulpur (62 per cent) and Mariani (61.62 per cent), the official of the state Chief Electoral Officer’s office said.
No untoward incident has been reported so far from the five constituencies, the official said, adding that Central Armed Police Force (CAPF) personnel have been deployed in 1,176 polling stations.
- Nagaland: Domestic workers pen grievances to CM through postal cards
- Basic structure of Constitution should not be changed: SC Judge
- Assam: Endangered hogs return home at Manas National Park
- Nagaland: Memorial Football tourney of Kargil martyr from Nov 1-9
- PM’s call for mass drive on Sunday an insult: Manipur TNL
- Assam: Train equipped with state-of-art features flagged off