With elections of All Arunachal Pradesh Students’ Union (AAPSU) around the corner, incidents of violence are being reported between supporters of the presidential candidates.
On Wednesday, a violent clash broke out near Hotel Radjum in Nirjuli between supporters of the two AAPSU candidates.
According to eyewitnesses, gunshots were heard during the clash, which also involved stone pelting.
One of the groups belonging to presidential candidate Tagru Tame alleged that they were attacked by supporters of another candidate, Dozi Tana, when they were on their way to Itanagar from Namsai.
Clarifying on the entire incident, Nabam Gandhi, a close aide to Dozi Tana, said neither he nor any of their supporters were involved in the incident.
Some misinformation is doing the rounds to tarnish his (Tana’s) hard-earned image in society, he said.
Meanwhile, DSP Dekio Gumja informed that reportedly 3 people have been injured and 5 vehicles were damaged during the clash.
The DSP said an FIR had been registered following a complaint by Tagru Tate, a supporter of Tagru Tame, at the Nirjuli police station.
The DSP has requested the students to maintain discipline, sincerity and a peaceful environment.
All the aspiring candidates must show exemplary conduct to run the state and put the student community in the right direction, he added.
Also read: Arunachal: NSCN (K-YA) militants kidnap Pumao village president
- Varsity scholar submits thesis on effects of gaming on Sikkim teens
- Assam’s healthcare gets a boost with oxygen plant at GMCH
- Dibrugarh Uni conducts fact-checking workshop to combat fake news
- Assam govt announces cash award for Lovlina Borgohain
- Hosting int’l tournament was long-awaited dream of Manipur: CM
- Unleashing the potential of Rhododendrons