Khonsa: The 6 Assam Rifles and Tirap police on Friday arrested two overground workers (OGW) of the NSCN-K (YA) from Dadam village, around 20 km from here.
The OGWs, identified as Mongnyai Pansa (38) and Maangang Gangsa (23), were caught red-handed extorting money from the villagers on behalf of the banned outfit, the security forces said in a press release.
A sum of Rs 40,000 was recovered from the duo.
Pasa is a resident of Ngissa village in Wakka circle while Gangsa belongs to Chop village from the same circle.
“This apprehension has once again exposed the extortion network of the banned outfits where the local population is being used as a nexus for extortion. Both the OGWs were involved in collecting extortion money on the directions of the hardcore insurgents of NSCN-K (YA),” the release said.
The Assam Rifles said more than 40 overground workers have been apprehended by the security forces and police so far “giving a huge blow to the underground outfits.”
It may be mentioned here that over 120 gaon buras (village chiefs) and chieftains of the Tirap and Longding districts had on Wednesday extended their support to the security forces to tackle and end the menace of NSCN insurgents operating across the two districts.
The unanimous decision from the gaon buras and chieftains came following a security meeting organized by the Khonsa battalion of Assam Rifles in collaboration with the local police and administration at the battalion’s unit headquarters here.
- World Sports Journalist Day 2022: History, significance and more
- On World UFO Day, a look at UFO ‘sightings’ in Northeast
- From Greenland shark to seafaring cockatoo: Meet 5 remarkably old animals
- Pak steeply hikes petrol prices under deal with IMF to revive bailout programme
- Meghalaya: Deputy CM meets protesting teachers, assures support
- Murmu has better chances to win prez polls after Maha development: Mamata