Itanagar: Ace Arunachalee weightlifter Sambo Lapung added yet another feather to his illustrious cap after he was crowned the national champion in the heavyweight category of the ongoing Indian Weightlifting Federation (IWF) Youth, Junior and Senior Championship.
The event is being held in Bhubaneswar, Odisha.
Participating in the 96-kg weight category, Lapung lifted a total of 336 kg (Snatch: 147 kg + Clean & Jerk: 189 kg) on Monday to win gold for Arunachal Pradesh.
Lapung is a former South Asia Federation Games gold medalist.
Arunachal Weightlifting Association vice-president Daniel Teli said Sambo’s record lift of 198 kg in the clean and jerk event was, however, overruled and dismissed by the panel of judges as it did not meet the criteria for a proper lift.
According to Teli, Lapung would have created a new national record had the lift been not overruled.
The heavy weight category saw Railway’s R V Rahul lift a total of 335 kg (Snatch: 150 kg and Clean & Jerk: 185 kg) and take home the silver medal while the bronze went to Jagdish of Services (SSCB) who lifted a total of 333 kg (Snatch: 146 kg and Clean & Jerk: 187 kg).
Weightlifters from Arunachal have so far managed to win four gold, two silver and two bronze medals in the championship.
Over 800 weightlifters from 30 states are participating in the competition which is the qualifier for 5th edition of Khelo India Youth Games, 2022 scheduled to be held later this year.
This championship will end on March 31.
- Remote NE areas get direct rail connection to Mumbai, Secunderabad
- NagaED becomes first NE company to win CII DX award for digital education
- Anti-BJP sentiments surge as Mizoram elections approach
- Nagaland: Vethozo Lohe secures gold at World Arm Wrestling C’ship
- Assam: Cooking contest held to foster indigenous cuisine, support local women
- Pradyot explains why Tripura needs a ‘constitutional solution’