Two insurgents of the NSCN-IM group and a civilian were reportedly killed in a fierce gunfight with Assam Rifles in Arunachal Pradesh’s Tirap district. One insurgent was also injured in the confrontation on Sunday.
The incident reportedly happened on Sunday in Old Kolagaon near Khonsa in Tirap. The encounter also led to the recovery of a huge cache of arms and ammunition as well as the arrest of an insurgent.
The arms recovered included one AK 56 rifle with a magazine, one 5.56 mm M4 A 1 Carbine, made in the US, one 32mm Pistol, a huge cache of ammunition, and other warlike stores from the encounter site.
Senior police officials informed that the police and Assam Rifles on Sunday had jointly launched an operation on the basis of an intelligence input in the area where the encounter took place.
The insurgent injured in the confrontation was referred to a hospital in the nearby town of Dibrugarh in Assam.
A civilian, Retto Kakho, was also killed in the fighting after which locals took to the streets in Deomali, Tirap district, against the NSCN groups for using civilians as human shields.
A 12-hr bandh has also been announced in Tirap by student organisations on Monday.
The NSCN-IM insurgents were carrying out extortion drives and new recruitment in Tirap since January this year.
- MoU signed for promoting ‘Tripureswari’ tea brand of Tripura
- Why Ruptu Gogoi believes CWG is like Mt Everest for Lawn Bowls
- World’s first ‘parastronaut’. Will anyone be able to go to space one day?
- India’s presidency of G-20 a matter of pride for all citizens: PM Modi
- Shillong Teer Result today: Check winners of Shillong Teer for December 5
- Assam conservationists win big at Sanctuary Wildlife Awards