Itanagar: Four women were killed and 15 others injured, nine of them critically, after a pickup van ferrying them skidded off the road and fell into a gorge in Arunachal Pradesh’s Kra Daadi district, police said on Monday.
The accident took place on Sunday evening when the passengers were going towards Palin from Tali after attending a fellowship programme, Superintendent of Police Dusu Kaling said.
The vehicle skidded off the road near Kumey bridge point at Kuwa and fell into a 20-metres-deep gorge above Kumey River, he said.
Four women passengers died on the spot, while nine others received grievous injuries and six sustained minor injuries, Kaling said.
The critically injured have been sent to Itanagar, while the rest are being treated at Palin, the officer said.
Only four occupants, including the driver, were men while the rest were women, he said.
The deceased have been identified as Bohu Poyum, Nich Nenia, Toku Yachi and Goda Yayak, the SP said.
Tali Circle Officer (CO) Jina Bagang said that the accident took place when the driver lost control over the vehicle while ascending a hill and the pickup van came downhill in reverse before falling into the gorge.
Chief Minister Pema Khandu expressed shock and sadness over the loss of lives in the accident.
“Deeply saddened to learn about the unfortunate tragic vehicle accident near Kuwa bridge point between Tali and Palin in Kra-Daadi district. My deepest condolences. I pray for early recovery of those injured. Ex-gratia under Chief Minister Relief Fund (CMRF) sanctioned,” Khandu tweeted.
Also read: Arunachal Pradesh logs 22 new COVID-19 cases, tally 64,004
- What Greek mythology teaches us about women’s resistance and rebellion
- Yuva Sangam great initiative to promote people-to-people connect: PM
- World’s oldest Homo sapiens footprint identified on South Africa’s Cape south coast
- China’s first domestically built plane makes its maiden commercial flight
- New Parl building will be witness to India’s growth: VP Dhankhar
- Rahul Gandhi gets new passport, set to travel to US on Monday