Itanagar: Four women were killed and 15 others injured, nine of them critically, after a pickup van ferrying them skidded off the road and fell into a gorge in Arunachal Pradesh’s Kra Daadi district, police said on Monday.
The accident took place on Sunday evening when the passengers were going towards Palin from Tali after attending a fellowship programme, Superintendent of Police Dusu Kaling said.
The vehicle skidded off the road near Kumey bridge point at Kuwa and fell into a 20-metres-deep gorge above Kumey River, he said.
Four women passengers died on the spot, while nine others received grievous injuries and six sustained minor injuries, Kaling said.
The critically injured have been sent to Itanagar, while the rest are being treated at Palin, the officer said.
Only four occupants, including the driver, were men while the rest were women, he said.
The deceased have been identified as Bohu Poyum, Nich Nenia, Toku Yachi and Goda Yayak, the SP said.
Tali Circle Officer (CO) Jina Bagang said that the accident took place when the driver lost control over the vehicle while ascending a hill and the pickup van came downhill in reverse before falling into the gorge.
Chief Minister Pema Khandu expressed shock and sadness over the loss of lives in the accident.
“Deeply saddened to learn about the unfortunate tragic vehicle accident near Kuwa bridge point between Tali and Palin in Kra-Daadi district. My deepest condolences. I pray for early recovery of those injured. Ex-gratia under Chief Minister Relief Fund (CMRF) sanctioned,” Khandu tweeted.
- Manipur: Two militants of banned Kuki outfit arrested
- World Chocolate Day: 10 Fun facts you didn’t know!
- Film industry being singled out as ‘worst place in the world’: Deepti Naval
- Govt bulldozing people’s budget through inflation: Cong on LPG price hike
- Political instability deepens in Sri Lanka as Aviation Minister resigns
- Bus service to Kathmandu starts from West Bengal’s Siliguri