Itanagar: Arunachal Pradesh powerlifter Azad Basfore has created history by winning the ‘Strongman of India’ title in the National Powerlifting Games for the second consecutive year.
Basfore, who had won the title 2021, repeated his feat in the National Powerlifting Games held at Noida in Uttar Pradesh from January 8 to 9 this year.
He not only managed to win a gold medal in the 75 kg bodyweight senior category but also set a new bench-press record under World Powerlifting Congress (WPC) India after he bench pressed 200 kgs.
Besides, Basfore, the WPC Arunachal team also shined in the National Powerlifting Games as they managed to bag a total of 13 medals for the state in various categories of the competition.
Representing Arunachal, while Ninimum Nara won 3 gold medals in the 48 kg bodyweight junior category, Riba Singhi won 2 gold in the 67.5 kg bodyweight senior category.
Katbang Bayang and Ongbem Mossang won a gold medal each in the 56 kg bodyweight senior and junior categories, respectively, while Marjom Ete won a gold and silver medal in the 67.5 kg bodyweight junior category.
Kipa Yanu and Abhijit Rajkhowa also won a gold each in the 48 kg bodyweight senior and 90 kg bodyweight Master I categories, respectively.
Kipa Nguri brought home silver in the 48 kg bodyweight junior category and Askar Ali managed to bag bronze for Arunachal in the 75 kg bodyweight junior category.
- Beyond Bharat Jodo: Can a Third Front challenge BJP-Congress hegemony?
- Tripura 2023: Union min Pratima Bhoumik files nomination for Dhanpur
- Assam: Kailash Satyarthi lauds state govt’s efforts to end child marriages
- JD(U) announces first candidate for Nagaland election
- Assam: Swaheed Krishak Diwas observed in Patharighat
- CPI(M) demands high-level probe against Adani Group