Itanagar: Arunachalee weightlifter Bengia Tani, who won two medals, including a gold in the men’s youth event of the National Weightlifting Championship on Wednesday, has been adjudged as the ‘Best Lifter’ in the youth category of the championships by the Indian Weightlifting Federation.
This feat has earned Tani a place in the national camp for upcoming international competitions like the Youth Commonwealth, Asian and World Youth Championships.
A native of Koloriang in Kurung Kumey district, Tani had clinched gold in the men’s youth 61 kg weight category on Wednesday with a total lift of 240 kg (105kg in snatch and 135kg in clean and jerk). He had also won silver in the overall category.
Tani is presently training under Coach Yukar Sebi, who is a junior commissioned officer in the Indian Army.
Arunachal has so far won 10 medals, including two gold at the National Weightlifting Championships, the event, which is presently underway at the Netaji Subhas National Institute of Sports in Patiala, Punjab.
- Naga peace talks set to resume as interlocutor, Assam CM step in
- Mizoram: Chakma villages threaten strike over disbursal of grant money
- Arunachal Pradesh gets four more oxygen plants
- Utd Democratic Alliance: Opposition-less govt a reality in Nagaland
- I-T dept: Sonu Sood, associates evaded Rs 20 crore tax, violated FCRA
- Taliban replace ministry for women with one restricting them