The two gold medalists from the state are Bengia Tani and Charu Pessi.
While Tani clinched the gold medal in the men’s youth 61 kg weight category with a total lift of 240 kg (105kg in snatch and 135kg in clean and jerk), Pessi achieved the feat in the men’s junior 61 kg category. Pessi lifted a total of 249 kgs (111 kg in snatch and 138 kg in clean and jerk) for his gold medal.
Arunachalee weightlifters Tadar Tagin, Markio Tario and Boni Mangkiya won silver medals in the championships.
Tadar and Tario won silver in the men’s youth 49 kg and men’s senior 67 kg weight category respectively, while Mangkiya secured the second position in the girls’ youth 67 kg event.
Tadar lifted a total of 173 kg (76 kg in snatch and 97 kg in clean and jerk) while Tario lifted a total of 271 kg (115 kg in snatch and 156 kg in clean and jerk).
Mangkiya lifted 152 kg (67 kg in snatch and 85 kg in clean and jerk) for her silver.
Golom Tinku (55 kg) and Shankar Lapung (61 kg) also won bronze medals in the men’s youth event, while Balo Yalam (59 kg) bagged bronze in the girl’s youth event. The other weightlifter to win bronze was Lalu Taku (81kg) in the senior men’s category while Tario who earlier had won silver in the men’s senior 67 kg later also won bronze in the senior overall event.
Two other weightlifters Sandhya Gungli (40 kg) and Tadar Neha (45 kg) managed to secure 5th and 6th position respectively in the girls’ youth event.
- General Asim Munir takes charge as Pakistan’s new Army chief
- Mukroh firing: TMC’s Saket Gokhale writes to Meghalya CM
- Israeli envoy slams filmmaker Lapid for criticising ‘The Kashmir Files’
- India records 215 new Covid-19 cases, lowest since April 2020
- Shillong Morning Teer Result today: Check winners of Shillong Teer for November 29
- Afghanistan: after a year of Taliban rule, women are more oppressed than ever