On June 21, a joint team of Changlang police and Assam Rifles apprehended an overground worker (OGW) of the NSCN-IM identified as Batu Youngja from the Rangkatu Tea garden area.
The 51-year-old Youngja is said to be a resident of the Kongsa Village. He came to collect money from the tea manager on the behest of the NSCN-IM self-styled area commander, as per Superintendent of Police Changlang District Mihin Gambo.
Similarly on June 22, based on own source the joint team of Changlang police, 9 Assam Rifles and CRPF apprehended another OGW of NSCN-IM from the same area Rangkatu tea garden identified as Chakngam Kongkang (30) resident of Phangsum village in Namtok circle who came to collect extortion money.
One motorcycle and a mobile handset were seized from his possession. The OGW had carried an extortion note of the self-styled area commander of NSCN-IM demanding Rs 2 lakh from the tea garden.
SP Changlang Mihin Gambo informed that a criminal case has been registered at Changlang PS against the apprehended and further investigation is going on.
- Meghalaya-Assam border row: ‘Give & take’ policy not acceptable, says Cong MLA
- Meet the jury members of Northeast Launchpad
- NGT directs Meghalaya govt to file affidavit on action taken against illegal miners
- Meghalaya to follow same strategy to deal with COVID-19: New health minister
- Wrestler Deepak loses semifinal, to fight for bronze now
- Meghalaya Lottery August 4: Check Future Flush Noon lottery result