A 28-year-old man died on the spot while a woman succumbed to her injuries later after a car they were travelling in was hit by a landslide at the Bhalukpong-Charduar-Tawang (BCT) road in Arunachal Pradesh’s West Kameng district on Saturday.
The deceased were identified as Mangal Rai (28) and Monica Sonar (40).
While Rai was driving, Monica is the wife of T K Sonar, an assistant sub-inspector of the West Kameng police.
Bhalukpong police station officer-in-charge Inspector D Bagra said the incident occurred at around 10 am on Saturday when Sonar, along with his wife and two children, were travelling towards Tezpur, Assam from Bomdila following a medical emergency.
“The car with five persons on board was hit by a landslide caused by incessant rainfall near Saddle in Nechiphu. The driver died on the spot while the rest were evacuated to the army medical hospital in Dahung where Monica breathed her last,” Inspector Bagra said.
ASI Sonar, who sustained serious injuries, has been referred to a hospital in Tezpur, the police officer said while adding that both his children escaped unhurt in the incident.
The BCT road has been marked red for travel at 77.500 KM due to incessant rain.
A head constable of the Bhalukpong police station was also injured after he was hit by stones falling on the same stretch of road on Saturday.
- Amarinder Singh resigns as Punjab CM; says ‘feel humiliated’
- Book explores historical and spiritual landscape of communities in Northeast
- Watch: Can Bar Tshangay Falls become Sikkim’s next tourism destination?
- Naga peace talks set to resume as interlocutor, Assam CM step in
- Mizoram: Chakma villages threaten strike over disbursal of grant money
- Arunachal Pradesh gets four more oxygen plants