Itanagar: Arunachal Pradesh police on Friday seized 21 packets of suspected heroin worth Rs 10 lakh, the biggest haul in the Itanagar Capital Region (ICR) this year.
Capital superintendent of police Jimmy Chiram said five people, including three women – all from Nagaon district in Assam – were arrested from a hotel in Banderdewa near here for possessing the contraband weighing around 257.52 grams.
The five arrested have been identified as Sahida Khatun, Faruk Ali, Riyajul Islam, Suria Khatun and Sulema Khatun.
“A case under a relevant section of the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act was registered against them and assigned to sub-inspector R K Jha for further investigation,” the SP said.
Following a tip-off, a team led by Naharlagun SDPO Rike Kamsi and Banderdewa police station’s officer-in-charge Tadu Hassang raided the hotel following which the arrests were made.
The search was conducted in presence of executive magistrate Ritu Tawe. the SP said.
Other members of the police team were ASI Joram Tam, head constables S K Jha, G Tang and A N Yadav, head constable (Special Branch) T Rigom, constables Tage Sala, T Bomdom and D Gupta, and lance constables W Tessia and C Tangjang.
On Thursday, the Naharlagun police had recovered around 943 grams of cannabis and arrested one person.
The Capital police have so far registered 10 cases of drug abuse and trafficking in the last two months.
- Minor earthquake jolts Arunchal Pradesh
- Charanjit Singh Channi to be next CM of Punjab
- Biden pitching partnership after tough stretch with allies
- Young Indians are highly vulnerable to cardiac ailments: Here’s why
- Witnesses say explosion targets Taliban, 2nd in as many days
- Assam: This social entrepreneur duo is building communities with tea and art