Itanagar: A special court in Arunachal on Tuesday sentenced one Bombe Riba (25) to twenty years of rigorous imprisonment for rape of a 6-year-old girl.

The special court in Basar, in Arunachal‘s Leparada district, designated under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act, convicted the man under Section 06 of the Act “for aggravated penetrative sexual assault,” officials said.  

The judgement was passed by the POCSO Court, Basar special judge Tage Halley.

It was alleged that the convict had forcefully kidnapped the minor from her home on April 30 last year and took her to the river side where he later raped her.

Also read: Assam: Frontline worker raped in Cachar, three arrested

Following the incident, an FIR was lodged at the Basar police station by the victim’s father on the same day and a case under section 363/376 of the Indian Penal Code read with Section 4 of the POCSO Act, 2012, was registered by the police.

During investigation it was found that the accused and the victim were neighbours and thus knew each other.

The 6-year-old victim was playing outside the premises of her house with her friends and siblings on the day of the incident when the accused reached there and took her to the nearby river. He then raped her and shut her mouth despite the child crying profusely, officials said.

Due to forceful penetration, the minor was bleeding and had severe pain in her private parts for several days, officials added.        

The accused, who following the investigation pleaded guilty to the crime in his statement, said he “took the victim to the river without the knowledge and consent of her parents with an intention to bathe her, but changed his mind later on.”

Also read: Assam: Karbi girl’s killing exposes horrors of child abuse in Nagaon

“Upon reaching the river I changed my mind to rape her (victim). Accordingly, I took off her clothes and raped her once despite her complaining/resisting and crying. I then let her go back to her house the same evening,” the accused said in his statement.

“Actually, I was drunk in the evening of the incident due to which I was not able to realize what I had done to the victim. However, the next morning after I was arrested and taken to the police station, I felt a deep guilt inside which is constant till date. Hence, I voluntarily plead guilty before this court today,” he added.

Trending Stories

Latest Stories

Leave a comment

Leave a comment Cancel reply