EastMojo
www.eastmojo.com
An AN-32 aircraft
An AN-32 aircraft|Representational image
ARUNACHAL PRADESH

Amid reports, IAF denies sighting missing AN-32 plane in Arunachal

However, search operations to continue from air and by ground parties through the night; coordinating with Indian Army, govt and civil agencies to locate aircraft, says IAF

Sandeep Borah

Sandeep Borah

Itanagar: Amid reports doing the rounds on social media, the Indian Air Force (IAF) has denied sighting any wreckage of the AN-32 aircraft that went missing from Aalo in Arunachal Pradesh’s Shi Yomi district on Monday afternoon.

In a post on its official Twitter handle, the IAF informed that although some reports of a possible crash site were received, no wreckage has been sighted so far.

“Some reports of possible location of crash site were received, however, no wreckage has been sighted so far," the tweet said.

However, the IAF said it was coordinating with the Indian Army and other governmental and civil organisations to locate the missing aircraft.

“IAF is coordinating with Indian Army, various government and civil agencies to locate the missing aircraft. Search operations will continue from air and by ground parties of Indian Army through the night,” the IAF wrote in a subsequent tweet.

The ill-fated AN-32 aircraft took off from Jorhat in Assam and was flying to the Mechuka Advanced Landing Ground in Arunachal Pradesh’s Shi Yomi district when it went missing near Aalo. It was carrying 13 passengers on board.

The IAF has deployed all available resources, including Sukhoi Su-30 combat fighter jets and C-130J Hercules special operations aircraft, to locate the missing aircraft. Troops on ground too have fanned out to hunt for the missing plane.

In July 2016, in a similar incident, an AN-32 transport aircraft career of the IAF disappeared over the Bay of Bengal with 29 people on board. The plane had taken off from an airbase in Chennai and was headed to Andaman and Nicobar Islands. The aircraft was never found and search operations were called off in September 2016.