Itanagar: A three-year-old child was killed after a flash flood, reportedly triggered by a cloudburst, swept away six people from Modirijo near Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh, in the early hours of Friday. While one of them was rescued and the body of the child later recovered, the fate of four others is still unknown.
Three of those swept away have been identified as Rigio Yajik, Rigio Tagung and Mohan Das. A Hyundai i20 car and four two-wheelers were also swept away from the area, said sources. Yajik was later rescued and rushed to the hospital.
Commenting on the others, K Harshavardhan, SP Capital Complex, said that three members of a family, identified as Meri Beyong, Phungpi Beyong and Kojam Beyong, were swept away from Modirijo, an area located between Itanagar and Naharlagun. The body of three-year-old Kojam was later recovered from Naharlagun area, 6 km from the place of their residence.
The district disaster management officer (DDMO), Moromi Dodum Sonam, informed EastMojo that the flood has damaged more than 30 houses in the area. “Altogether 20 houses at Modirijo and ten in the Donyi Polo School area were either damaged or washed away by the flash flood,” the DDMO added.
Meanwhile, the district administration is assessing the damages caused by the flash flood and providing relief materials among the affected people.
Local MLA Techi Kaso is also closely monitoring the rescue operatios being carried out by the personnel from the district administration, the SDRF and 12 Bn of the NDRF, said reports.
- BJP is just a tenant, not owner of democracy: Cong
- WB govt plotting handing over of state-run edu institutions to pvt sector: JUTA
- Education ministry preparing guidelines for students’ mental, emotional wellbeing: Pradhan
- US condemns attack on Indian consulate in San Francisco
- Meghalaya: World Tuberculosis Day observed at Purakhasia
- ‘Mrs Chatterjee Vs Norway’ raises Rs 13 crore in opening weekend